Thursday, March 3, 2016

03-02-2016



ISEP food stipend. I'm still amazed by how cheap everything is here. We were given ¥60 for meals per day, which sounds like a lot until you realize that's only about $10. It goes pretty far though - a typical meal usually ranges from ¥6 - ¥20 ($1 - $3) depending on where you go. It's also convenient that food is super accessible. My problem is that I usually can't read the menu (if they even have a hand-copy available) so I'm limited to pointing at random things. I'm hoping to improve my skills though, so I've learned to at least recognize the characters for beef, pork, and fish (牛肉,猪肉,and 鱼 respectively). Hopefully that 'serves' me well in the future (ohoho).


8 comments:

  1. Make it RAIN!!
    and yes I just commented on just about every post!!!
    I love reading what you've written: you explain and comment on the best things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yesss, please comment :D I was going to say 'i love hearing your voice' but it's not really your voice.. D:

      Delete
  2. Don't they have pictures? That always helped me in Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places do, and some don't. I tend to gravitate towards places that have pictures, have hand-copies of menus (easier to point at than a wall menu) or where they already have food out and it's easy to pick exactly what you want. On the note about pointing at random things, I do sometimes like to have an idea of what I'm getting into, and that's where hopefully learning some common menu terms will help me! Luckily, I haven't had any bad food experiences with that (or at all) yet.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Why thank you. That was, in fact, the look I was going for.

      Delete