Wednesday, April 27, 2016

04-26-2016


I didn't get a great picture so they are a little hard to see because of the trees, but there are statues of men on top of the ornate columns. This area is on my campus and is dubbed the 'Music Square' in English, which is funny because if you see the entirety, it's not a square at all but rather a circle. I've been meaning to take a picture of it for a while because I walk past here every Friday on my way to Martial Arts. However, I got the picture today because I wanted to kill time before going lunch to avoid the busiest period (seriously, everyone here goes to lunch RIGHT AT NOON because that's the time that all classes let out (there aren't as many time slots for classes here as there are in the US) and staff lunch break begins. And it seems like no one waits to avoid the crowd - it was about 12:35 when I entered the restaurant I went to for lunch, and there were about five tables full. Everyone left within ten minutes and I was the only customer in the restaurant. I don't think that's a Chinese thing but rather an aspect of university life, though I could be wrong. I find it strange as do other foreigners, especially because some places close after the peak time concludes.)
But I digress (thanks Blathers). Going back to the actual picture, these statues are of various composers (hence why the area is called the 'Music' Square). I think it's cool because they also list the composer names and brief information in Chinese. You can see that in the picture below.


They also have statues of Beethoven, Mozart, Strauss...I'm blanking on the other Western ones. They also have two of Chinese composers - one of them arranged the Chinese national anthem. 
Sorry, I'm really intrigued by this because this is what minoring in Music and playing in an orchestra for about seven years does to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment