Saturday, December 21, 2019

12-18-2019


Finally went to the library on the south campus today! A friend helped me find the English books section, not because I want to read English books here, but because I was curious to see what books they had. There's more than I expected, although most of the books seem relatively old. 

Below are pictures from a book of 'Chinese nursery rhymes' that I found intriguing......


I think the the translator wanted to use rhyme and rhythm to make the English sound more poetic because a more literal translation of the pig line (which actually comes first) would be something like 'we keep a pig to eat its meat'. 

But yeah, never mind that you need girls to give birth to the boys that were so dearly coveted in older times. Not that girls didn't or couldn't do other things, but you think they would at least think of that!


I never anticipated seeing the phrase "saucy baby" in an actual published book.

I have trouble understanding what exactly the last line in Chinese means, something like the baby will cry and wail at the grandpa (because it is a baby, not because it hates the grandpa)?

No comments:

Post a Comment